Shawny realised that this problem was very common and decided to do something for the elderly who had no family to help them. She started to collect leftover food from the restaurants in the region and asked neighbours for non-perishable goods. She found a friend who helps her with the tasks and started to cook and distribute lunches to the poor over the age of 70.
Success was huge and so Shawny had to expand her kitchen, which now prepares more than 180 meals a day. Pasta, beans, rice and meat, as well as some vegetables. If possible, a fruit based dessert. "Especially with bananas, which have potassium, something which is very important for the elderly." Shawny says that the dish with the biggest success is "mocotó" (cow's paw stew). Not only is it cheap, but also fills the stomachs and is nourishing.
- 1 cow paw
- 1 lemon
- 2 table spoons of vinegar
- 1 table spoon of paprika
- 1 clove
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, skinned and seedless
- Optional 1 chilli pepper
- The paw must be cut into slices and washed in running water. Put it in a pressure cooker, cover with water and vinegar and boil.
- Once it has boiled, throw away the water. In the same pan squeeze in the lemon, add salt, garlic and onion and let it cook a little, then add the cloves, tomatoes, paprika, and enough water to cover (if you want to, add 1 chilli pepper).
- Cover the pressure cooker and when the pressure starts to rise, lower the heat and let it cook. Ideally, and occasionally, turn off the heat until the air has left and open to see if more water is needed.
- When the bones come loose, then it is ready. Remember that it should be cooked at a low heat, and seasoned to taste.
- Finish with finely chopped parsley and enjoy!
The image is taken from: http://www.multireceitas.com.br/receita/receita-de-mocoto-com-mandioca/